Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Sweet Art Case

Wow, I cannot believe it is the end of December already. I have been very busy this month working on several different projects, some of which I have actually finished. I have two dollhouses currently under renovation that will be ongoing for a while and that I will be posting about along the way as I get them in order. I think the first non-dollhouse related project I am sharing today is an awesome transformation. First, I must give credit and thanks for this idea to my friend Debbie Page Harris of Studio Bee Creations in Spartanburg SC., who totally inspired me with her very cool vintage suitcase makeovers. I saw one she had done and I loved it so much, I knew I had to try something similar. I started keeping an eye out for a hard-sided suitcase during my thrift store travels, and I settled on this particular case for a few reasons...1. I thought it could hold a lot of art stuff  2. I thought I could cover it with gelli prints without any problems 3. It was $6 and it did not smell funny like a lot of old suitcases do. Here is the old brown case before meeting my gelli prints and several different kinds of ribbon. I used Matte Medium to glue the papers on and Tacky Glue for the ribbons. If you have any idea who might have carried a case like this, please let me know because I have not a clue.


Here are a couple of pictures as I started to cover up the brown...





No more brown... :)








Here is the other side of the tag that is hanging on it in the third picture...


I had fun doing this old brown bag makeover, and I am excited to fill it with my favorite art stuff next time I go away from home. Thanks for having a look!!!

36 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your case. I knew an insurance agent who carried one. Years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claycass!!! i had no idea what it was used for, but I knew it could hold a lot of art stuff :)

      Delete
  3. These cases are called Pilot bags, used by Airplane Pilots ��
    Your bag is so beautiful - it's amazing.

    Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year ������

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got my attention with this masterpiece. The case looks awesomeğŸŽˆthanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen!!! it was fun to do and I am excited to carry it somewhere :)

      Delete
  5. Love your case. I knew an insurance agent who carried one. Years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a Dr once who had one. Very very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesomesauce job!!!...and I KNOW you had fun!!...time to make more gelli papers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!!! yes, time to gelli print again :)

      Delete
  8. I worked for attorneys who all had bags like this in the olden days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. Believe they are called Pilot Cases, but lawyers use them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Liz!!! :)

      Delete
  11. I work in a law office and this looks just like the bag the attorneys carry .... legal files are 14" long ..... which is why it is long ..... great score !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info Annie Lou!! :) gotta keep an eye out for another one

      Delete
  12. Is your suitcase covered with original gelly prints. What adhesive did you use and did you spray it protect it. I hope I don't seem so nosey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairykin I am so sorry for the slow response, things have been crazy!! Yes, the case is covered with original gelli prints. I used Matte Medium to stick them on and a smoothing tool. Tacky glue for the ribbons on the edges. No I have not sprayed it, but I am thinking about it. My issue is I don't want the ribbon to be stiff. I probably should have done that before putting the ribbons on, but ah, live and learn :) someone has suggested minwax polycrylic, but I am hesitant, because I did that to a wooden stool I put a gelli print on, and the paper bubbled a little bit. Its ok though because when it dried, i poked a pin hole in the bubble and fixed it. The paper does not like to get wet again after it has dried. I put a lot of matte medium on the outside as I was working though, so that paper isn't going anywhere, but obviously right now it is not waterproof. May just use Krylon triple thick...no you are not nosey, I like questions :) thank you!!!

      Delete
  13. What an amazing work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ev!!! it was so much fun to do :)

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks crazy4atc!!! I appreciate that comment a lot :)

      Delete
  16. I love your work! !! Is there a way to subscribe to your blog by email? Elizabeth txormt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know Elizabeth, let me check on that. And so sorry for the slow response, it has been a bit crazy for me lately :)Thank you so much though, I would love for you to follow my blog!!! Someone else told me there was not a follow button on there, so I researched that, and apparently if you start a blogger account (free of course) you can keep a reading list of blogs you like. I will get right back to you on the email thing

      Delete
  17. I love your work! !! Is there a way to subscribe to your blog by email? Elizabeth txormt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you used duct tape in your projects? Love this!! I found one at the local Goodwill store.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you used duct tape in your projects? Love this!! I found one at the local Goodwill store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynde, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question...I have not tried duct tape, but I have seen some very cool patterns. I have also seen some super cool road cases decorated with "gaff" tape when I worked as a stagehand, That is another wide tape that is quite sticky and comes in many colors but it is not shiny.

      Delete